Dedicated to making a difference.
Past President and Fellow
Allan A. Hazlett, Adoption Attorney
Allan received his undergraduate degree from the University of Kansas in 1965 and is a graduate University of Kansas School of Law in 1967. He was admitted to the Kansas Bar in 1968. He served as Senior Judge, Shawnee County Magistrate Court from 1973 through 1977. He attended the National Judicial College in Reno, NV in 1973 and was one of eight judges in the country selected for a special faculty-training program at the Judicial College in 1974, where he also served on the faculty. During his term as judge, he developed one of the first “Diversion” programs in the United States. In 1987 he opened a solo practice in Topeka which he continues today.
Allan is a frequent writer and lecturer on adoption law. He lives in Topeka, Kansas with his wife, Peggy, who is his legal assistant. He has three adult children.
- Fellow and Past President, American Academy of Adoption Attorneys.
- Adjunct professor, Washburn Law School teaching the Adoption Law class.
- Former Member of the Board, American Academy of Adoption Attorneys.
- Represented the American Academy of Adoption Attorneys at the annual meeting of the Interstate Compact on the Placement of Children in California, Nevada, Rhode Island, Maryland and Washington.
- Presenter at the Dave Thomas Center for Adoption Law on Perspectives on Open Adoption, Privacy vs. The Right to Know.
- Appeared as an expert on Good Morning America, Good Morning Scotland, as well as numerous local television and radio shows.
- Participated in The Adoption 2002 Symposium that was a joint project of the US Departments of Justice and Health & Human Services designed to help state legislators and other policy makers to evaluate current laws and make recommendations to establish permanency for Children.
- Invited to participate at the Netherlands Embassy to celebrate the signing of the Hague Convention on International Adoption.
- Served as chair of the Ethics Committee and Internet Committee of American Academy of Adoption Attorneys.
- Received an award from Missing and Exploited Children for help resolving an International Adoption kidnapping, September 2000.
- Angel in Adoption of the Congressional Coalition on Adoption Institute having been nominated by Senator Sam Brownback.
- Trainer for Spaulding for Children, Understanding Infant Adoption for social workers and adoption counselors
- Speaker, Adoption Law seminar for National Business Institute
- Contributing author, Adoption Law In Kansas, Faculty Adoption Law In Kansas, seminar for social workers, attorneys, counselors, nurses and psychologists.
- Founding Member Board of Governors, Gift of Adoption Fund.
- Technical advisor to The Guiding Light, CBS television program with respect to adoption segments, Steals and Deals and Inside Edition with respect to adoption fraud.
- Member Topeka Bar Association
- Member Phi Alpha Delta law fraternity
- Served on the Board of Governors, Kansas Trial Lawyers Association
- Presenter for various programs for the Kansas and Topeka Bar Associations on Adoption Law.
Lisa Williams-McCallum, Adoption Attorney
After nearly a decade long career as a classroom teacher, I decided to make a change and pursue a life-long dream of going to law school. I earned my law degree from Washburn University School of Law. As part of my studies, I earned a family law certificate for completing a concentrated course of study in family law issues.
While attending law school I was a junior editor on the Family Law Quarterly, a scholarly publication for family law practitioners, and I served as a representative on the Washburn Student Bar Association.
Additionally, I clerked for the Honorable Mary Mattivi, District Court Judge, for the Shawnee County District Court, doing research and writing on family law cases.
I chose to focus my practice on adoption because I have a personal connection, having been adopted myself as an infant, and am now in a place to give back some of what has been given to me. As an adult I can look back and see all of the opportunities afforded me by my parents and can only hope to help others create the same love-filled life for themselves.
Lisa is a member of:
American Bar Association
- Family Law Group
- Adoption Committee
- Solo, Small Firm and General Practice Division
- GPSolo Leadership
Topeka Bar Association
- Family Law Committee
Kansas Bar Association
- Family Law Section
- Solo & Small Firm Section
Kansas Judicial Council
- Adoption Law Advisory Committee
We're here and ready to talk to you
Any questions or thoughts you may have, please reach out to us with them. We have helped lots of people in your situation.
Everything submitted through this contact form arrives directly into our personal inboxes. We’re monitoring this inbox 24 hours a day/7 days a week.
When you complete the form to the right, we’ll respond to you within hours… if not minutes.